- 1 1/3 C. uncooked white rice
- 2 2/3 C. water
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breast halves
- 2 C. shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- 2 C. shredded Cheddar cheese
- 1 10.75 oz. can condensed cream of chicken soup
- 1 10.75 oz. can condensed cream of mushroom soup
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 1/2 C. salsa
- Place rice and water in a saucepan and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low, cover, and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, place chicken breast halves in a large saucepan and fill the pan with water. Bring to a boil and cook for 20 minutes, or until done. Remove chicken from water.
- Cube chicken when it is cool enough to handle.
- Chop onion and cook in a small skillet until translucent.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Lightly grease a 9×13 inch baking dish.
- In a medium bowl, combine Monterey Jack and Cheddar cheeses.
- In a separate bowl, mix together cream of chicken soup, cream of mushroom soup, onion, and salsa.
- Layer 1/2 of the rice, 1/2 of the chicken, 1/2 of the soup mixture, and 1/2 of the cheese mixture in prepared dish.
- Repeat layers, ending with cheese.
- Bake in preheated oven for about 40 minutes, or until bubbly.
This is a flavorful dish even my 2 year old loves. It makes enough for a second dinner the following week.